We had 21 teams at Bays Relay last weekend despite the appalling weather – that compares to 18 teams for each of the previous two years. Looking ahead it’s Wellington Road Champs this Saturday; Te Marua for walkers and Wainuiomata for runners.
Options for the week
- Tuesday 6.15pm. Tuesday Night Session, Outside Freyberg Pool – contact Andy and Rowan for info or check Facebook.
- Thursday 5.30pm. Thursday night run from the Kupe Statue – check Facebook for details.
- Saturday, 8.00am, Lower Hutt 5km Parkrun, Porirua 5km Parkrun, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkrun.
- Saturday, 9.30am, Road Walking Champs, Te Marua.
- Saturday, 12.40pm, Road Running Champs, Wainuiomata Recreation Area.
- Sunday 8.30am, Long pack runs – contact Lindsay and Ben for info or check Facebook for details.
- The Masters Women’s A Team nearly beat the WHAC senior women’s A Team in the Bays Relay, with Lindsay Barwick just running out of tarmac on her chase. Ben Twyman inspired his SM B team to rattle the A team cage with an impressive captain’s knock. The M50s had big striding Bill Twiss come from behind to defend their title. The new W50 team, valiantly captained by Michele Allison, had a very close tussle with the WHAC team. And our composite team picked up third place, with Andrena Patterson taking the probably the worst of what was very bad weather for her team – Provisional results, Rowan’s race review and photos
- Dan Jones won the Mukamuka Munter in a course record 2:31 – Results
- Honest Ten – Hayden Smith 43.46 – Results
Wellington Road Running Champs 24 August, Wainuiomata
- The Wellington Road Champs is the last of the four big interclub races for the year. It is a great opportunity to run a fast 5km or 10km time with a large pack of runners to pull you along. It is held in the Wainuiomata Recreation Area. Enter from Moores Valley Road and turn into Whitcher Grove which leads to Reservoir Road. The course is an out and back road race using a 1.25km stretch of road that is closed to public traffic. There is a hill on one side and a river on the other side. The course is largely sheltered from the wind. The 5km race is at 12.40pm and the 10km race is at 2.45pm, with the shorter children’s and junior races in-between those two. More info and course map
Wellington Road Walking Champs, 24 August, 9.30am, Te Marua
- The Athletics Wellington Race Walking Championships will be held on a new course on the Twin Lakes access road at Te Marua, Upper Hutt. Wellington Scottish Athletics and Trentham United clubs are jointly hosting the meeting. The races include an A division fully judged 5km and 10km races, and a B division scrutinised race over 5km and 10km.
- Full details can be found here.
3x3km Cannons Creek Ekiden, 7 September, 2pm
- Time for some relay practice! This is a new event on our calendar. This three-person relay is run on the same park as the Bothamley Park Run. The course is a 3km out and back leg that each of three team members race. You turn up on the day and I will add you to a team (similar to how we did for the McVilly Shield at Karori Park at the start of the year). Meet beforehand at Corinna School.
NZ Road Relays, Feilding, 4-6 October
- The New Zealand Road Relays are the highlight of the year and this year they are in Feilding on 5 October. Scottish organises transport to and from Feilding/Palmerston North and around the race, race entry, accommodation and dinner on Saturday night. We subsidise the cost for everyone. So that you pay a flat fee of $190 if you are competing or $150 if you are a supporter. You can express your interest in going on the trip by completing this form: https://forms.gle/NhmVb21v7psp1rRT8
- A new On the Run article is out Amanda Broughton has talked to Palmerston North local runner Kate Southern about the best way to spend a relay-running weekend in Palmy North.
- Wellington City Council is upgrading reservoir pipelines near our clubrooms. This means significant traffic disruptions to streets surrounding the Scottish Clubrooms – including to Wright Street, Wallace Street, Hargraves Street and Hutchison Street. For any club events at the Clubrooms be aware that driving and parking may be difficult. For more details see this update from Wellington Water.
- Our full events calendar is available as a document that you can either read online or download. It is also available as a Google Calendar that you can add to your own electronic diary.
Keep in touch with the club via:
- Public Facebook page. And join the Scottish member Facebook group here