In this bulletin:
Options for the week
Around the tracks (results)
- At the Pelorus Trust Runs Mel Aitken and Hiro Tanimoto won the half marathon. Also Nick Horspool 1.12, Chris Wharan 1.22, Stephen Bass 1.25, Peter Murmu, 1.39 and Ian Morton was second walker in 2.35. Niam Macdonald won the 10km and Loretta Desourdy won the W60 in 1.07.23. Jess Haldane won the Kids Kilometre in 4.13 - results and photos
- At the North Island Masters Track and Field Peter Tearle won the M90 Throws Pentathlon with a Championship Record, breaking his own Wellington record. Peter also won the individual throws. Nick Horspool and Levente Timar set North Island Championship Records for the 3000m in their age groups and Bill Twiss was first M50. Andrew Wharton was first M40 in 1500m and 800m. Marshall Clark first North Islander in M60 800m. Helen Willis first W55 in 1500m. Liz Bentley first W55 in 800m. Lyn Clark won the W50 Steeplechase and shaved a second off her own Wellington record. Andrew Kerr first M45in the 5000m in a 17:43 PB. Michael Wray first M50. Liz Bentley won the W55 60m and 100m. Arlene Wong-Tung first W45 in the walk, Terri Grimmett first W60, Daphne Jones first W75, Sean Lake first M45 and Peter Baillie first M70 in both 3000m Walk and 5000m Walk. Ian Morton 1st in the M60 High Jump - results, photos (Rowan Greig) and photos (Sharon Wray)
- Emma Bassett did the Joondalup Half Marathon (WA) in 1.39.17
- Last weekend was the Capital City Tri where Maria Williams finished in 1.30, guided by Tricia Sloan.
- Waterfront 5km - PBs to Ben Twyman, Dan Rakic, Mel Aitken - results and photos
From Captains Lindsay and Rowan
- Last year the Scottish Night of Miles was an amazing night, with both great racing and great atmosphere. So make sure you keep 8 December free and head on down to probably the most fun 'track' meet of the summer. Also shorter races for the younger children, so if you have children make sure you bring them down as well. Entries now open.
- Also don't forget P-Team Mountain Champs on this Sat 1 December, the only time people actually look forward to running up the Tip Track (and then remember it is actually harder with a pie and beer in your stomach).
2018-19 Waterfront 5k Summer Series, Tuesday
- The 5k Summer series runs every Tuesday evening, 5.45pm, from Mac's Brewbar. Come and join us for a post-work fun run on Wellington's amazing inner city waterfront.
P Team World Mountain Running Championships - 1 December
- The 2018 edition of the P-Team World Mountain Running Champs will take place at 2pm on Saturday, 1 December. The course: the same as always. Meet at the bottom of the Tip Track at 1.50. Start at the bottom of the tip track at 2pm; have a mince pie and beer; run up the Tip Track to the radar station; have another beer; run down to the wind turbine. How to enter: Let us know via Facebook or email Karl Woodhead.
- If you need something other than a pie and/or beer, let us know and we'll work out the alternative. If you want to come and run but not with the nutrition of the pie and beer, then definitely join us! This isn't just for club members, so tell your friends and get them to contact Karl (So he can warm the appropriate number of pies)
Wellington Santa Run - 5 December
- The Great New Zealand Santa Run at Frank Kitts Park in Wellington on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 is a 2-3km fun run/walk in a Santa suit! Each entrant receives a free Santa suit as part of their entry fee. Kids under 13 will get a Santa hat instead of a Santa suit.
- The charity partner is The Graeme Dingle Foundations, with proceeds to help New Zealand's young people transition through their sequenced programmes from age 5 through to 18 as a transformation journey to set them up with a strong platform for adult life and a career.
- Volunteers for Santa Run: If anyone from Scottish would like to help marshal or volunteer on the day please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org - it will be much appreciated.
Night of Miles - 8 December
- The Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles is an annual event organised by Wellington Scottish Running Club. It is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile. The afternoon at the Basin Reserve consists of a mix of children's, senior and junior races, fun social events and serious events. Highlights are the mile races. There are several different mile races including elite men's and women's races and an all-comers mile that anyone can participate in (including Father Christmas).
- Each year we collect donations from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity. This year's charity is Bellyful NZ. Bellyful provides meals for families with newborn babies and families with young children who are struggling with illness.
- Night of Miles entries are now open at: https://snom18.eventdesq.com.
- Facebook event
Fundraising for Fiona Hayvice
- Remarkably, ultra-trail runner, Fiona Hayvice has been invited to represent New Zealand again! She's one of seven Kiwis (three females and four males) that will travel to Taiwan to compete in the 2018 IAU 24H Asia and Oceania Championships, on 1 December.
As an individual, Fiona will run around a 400m track for 24 hours with the goal of clocking up at least 200kms, her sights set on the podium. Secondly, as part of a single-gender team, her goal is to ensure all three females complete the 24-hour challenge, for it is only then that their distances can be tallied and ranked.
After accepting this 24H challenge, Fiona said she gasped for air, questioning her decision! Promptly her training focus shifted to flat terrain, a lot of it up at the Newtown Athletics Track. Although she misses the serenity of the trails, she's very pleased to report that both her body and mind have found the change of format revitalising.
Not so cool, is the fact that wearing the Silver Fern relies 100% on self-funding. So, the Kiwi team have set-up a Givealittle page to try and drum up some funding.
- Donate here.
Summer track and field memberships
- Summer track and field memberships to Scottish are now available for a discounted $110. Get involved in track and field at Newtown Park.
- Our annual season is half over, but track and field season has only just started. You can join us and take part for a reduced membership subscription of $110.
- Go to our online portal to join.
- NOTE: If you are already a full member of Scottish, that membership already covers you for the summer track and field season.
27 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
28 - Splash & Dash Race 1: 150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 3km Run. Registration Opens 5.00pm, Freyberg Pool
1 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
1 - P Team World Mountain Running Championships - 2pm
4 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
5 - The Great NZ Santa Run, Frank Kitts Park, Wellington is a 2-3km fun run/walk in a Santa suit
8 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
9 - Combined Senior & Junior Meet - 10am -5pm
11 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
12 - Splash & Dash Race 2: 150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 4km Run. Registration Opens 5.00pm, Freyberg Pool
15 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
15 - North Island Track and Field Champs, Hamilton
18 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
22 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
25 - Merry Christmas!
29 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
4 – 6 - North Island Colgate Games, Hamilton
5 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
8 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
12 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
13 - Kiwi Athletic Throws meet Club Meet A, Newtown
15 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
18 - Capital Classic NZ Senior 3000m, Newtown
19 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
19 - Sola Power Throw Meet, Lower Hutt
Keep in touch with the club via: