In this bulletin:
Options for the week
Around the tracks (results)
- Niam MacDonald won the Te Mata Trailblazer in Havelock North and joined the sub50 club. Lucas Duross was 3rd. Danielle Trewoon was 5th. Results and Instagram
- Regional League Track and Field Meet - The Scottish walkers continued their fine run of results, in the women's 3000m Terri Grimmett, Arlene Wong-Tung and Daphne Jones were 2nd, 3rd and 5th. In the men's race Sean Lake was 5th and Peter Baillie 6th. In a strong (and young) 1500m field Dylan Lynch was 5th in 4.11, Jamie Barnes 9th, Harry Burnard just snuck under 4.20 in 12th. Lachlan Bruce (14th) and Eddy Martin (15th) were both on the wrong side of 4min20. Ruaridh Ferguson was 16th in 4.31, and Damon Lendrum 28th and Finlay Hagen 29th had a good battle running 4.46 and 4.48. In the 800m Michael Wray kicked the season off with a 2.28. Benedict Rucco was 27th in another very large field. In the 3000m it was not surprising to see a certain Levante Timar good form, winning and breaking 9 mins (8.58). Alasdair Saunders and Alex Martin were 9th and 10th respectively. We also took 3rd in the 4x400m relay in a pretty decent time of 3.43.05. Harley Patel-Muxlow was in the triple jump and got out to 11.92m for 3rd. Results and photos
- Ben Cornelius (4.57) and Emma Bassett (5.57) ran the Tip Track Marathon. That's an extraordinary *6* times up and down the Tip Track! Chris, Nico and Jaime ran in a relay team. Results
- At the Queenstown Marathon Dan Jones was first (2:32), Todd Stevens - 2.57 (4th M40), Mel Aitken - 3.03, (6th female, 1st W40), Mel Macphee 3.16 (3rd W40), Donal Lynch 3.56 on debut, Isabel Deeley 4.38, Marketa Langova 4.39, Karen Jenkinson 4.49. And in the half marathon: Paul Barwick first M40 in the half (1:19), Lindsay Barwick first F40 in the half (1:27), Michelle Knight 2.00 and Dani Stevens 2.34 with a knee injury. Results
- Kate Slater was 11th in the Hamilton Round the Bridges 12km. Hot conditions, reportedly. Results
- Matt Bonner was 3rd in the Honest Ten, running 38.58. Results
From the captains
- Our next summer series event is this weekend so if you are running the Pelorus Trust let us know. Follow the link to register.
- Last year the Scottish Night of Miles was an amazing night, with both great racing and great atmosphere. So make sure you keep 8 December free and head on down to probably the most fun 'track' meet of the summer. Also shorter races for the younger children, so if you have children make sure you bring them down as well. Entries now open.
- Also don't forget P-Team Mountain Champs on 1 December, the only time people actually look forward to running up the Tip Track (and then remember it is actually harder with a pie and beer in your stomach).
- With track season up and running, plus a huge number of other events around the Wellington region, do let us know what you have planned so we can track your results. For example, the Pelorus Trust event this weekend will have a fair few running so do let us know if you are else we are likely to miss your result.
2018-19 Waterfront 5k Summer Series, Tuesday
- The 5k Summer series runs every Tuesday evening, 5.45pm, from Mac's Brewbar. Come and join us for a post-work fun run on Wellington's amazing inner city waterfront.
P Team World Mountain Running Championships - 1 December
- The 2018 edition of the P-Team World Mountain Running Champs will take place at 2pm on Saturday, 1 December. The course: the same as always. Meet at the bottom of the Tip Track at 1.50. Start at the bottom of the tip track at 2pm; have a mince pie and beer; run up the Tip Track to the radar station; have another beer; run down to the wind turbine. How to enter: Let us know via Facebook or email Karl Woodhead.
- If you need something other than a pie and/or beer, let us know and we'll work out the alternative. If you want to come and run but not with the nutrition of the pie and beer, then definitely join us! This isn't just for club members, so tell your friends and get them to contact Karl (So he can warm the appropriate number of pies)
Wellington Santa Run - 5 December
- The Great New Zealand Santa Run at Frank Kitts Park in Wellington on Wednesday, 5 December 2018 is a 2-3km fun run/walk in a Santa suit! Each entrant receives a free Santa suit as part of their entry fee. Kids under 13 will get a Santa hat instead of a Santa suit.
- The charity partner is The Graeme Dingle Foundations, with proceeds to help New Zealand's young people transition through their sequenced programmes from age 5 through to 18 as a transformation journey to set them up with a strong platform for adult life and a career. Entries @ : http://lacticturkey.netinsites.co.nz/greatnzsantarun/
- Volunteers for Santa Run: If anyone from Scottish would like to help marshal or volunteer on the day please get in touch with email@example.com - it will be much appreciated.
Night of Miles - 8 December
- The Lifestyle Sports Scottish Night of Miles is an annual event organised by Wellington Scottish Running Club. It is a unique event full of Christmas fun and features races over the rarely run distance of one mile. The afternoon at the Basin Reserve consists of a mix of children's, senior and junior races, fun social events and serious events. Highlights are the mile races. There are several different mile races including elite men's and women's races and an all-comers mile that anyone can participate in (including Father Christmas).
- Each year we collect donations from athletes and spectators then hand them on to a local Wellington charity. This year's charity is Bellyful NZ. Bellyful provides meals for families with newborn babies and families with young children who are struggling with illness.
- Night of Miles entries are now open at: https://snom18.eventdesq.com.
Tent and tea volunteers needed
- Those of you who were at prizegiving will know that two of our longstanding volunteers have stood down from their roles. Ross Lake is handing over his tent duties and Helen Willis is passing on the afternoon tea duties. So, we need two new volunteers:
- The tent person needs to come along to interclub events and erect the tent at the start of the day and take it home at the end of the day. There are five interclub events where the tent appears (Shaw Baton, Uni Relay, Dorne Cup, Wgtn XC and Wgtn Roads). If Ross's boots seem too big for one person to fill another option is that we create a roster where five people commit to taking down the tent at the end of the day, storing it for a few weeks/months, and then erecting it first thing at the next event. Then they hand over the tent-minding duties to the next person on the roster who takes it home at the end of the day. We would need five people to make this work. Sharon is currently investigating getting a newer, yellower, lighter, easier-to-pack tent covered in red lions - which might make the job easier.
- The tea-making a person needs to make sure that afternoon tea is available at each Saturday afternoon run (pack runs and club handicap races). There is a budget to replenish the tea and bikkie stocks. Again, if Helen's boots seem too big to fill we could consider a roster system and the volunteers will need to be reliably committed to turning up for their shift.
- If you can help in any way with either of these tasks please let me know.
Summer track and field memberships
- Summer track and field memberships to Scottish are now available for a discounted $110. Get involved in track and field at Newtown Park. Our annual season is half over, but track and field season has only just started. You can join us and take part for a reduced membership subscription of $110.
- Go to our online portal to join.
- NOTE: If you are already a full member of Scottish, that membership already covers you for the summer track and field season.
20 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
23-25 - North Island Masters Track & Field Champs, Newtown
25 - Pelorus Marathon, Half, 10km, Kids Mile
27 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
28 - Splash & Dash Race 1: 150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 3km Run. Registration Opens 5.00pm, Freyberg Pool
1 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
1 - P Team World Mountain Running Championships - 2pm
4 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
5 - The Great NZ Santa Run, Frank Kitts Park, Wellington is a 2-3km fun run/walk in a Santa suit
8 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
8 - Scottish Night of Miles with Lifestyle Sports - 4pm
11 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
12 - Splash & Dash Race 2: 150m, 400m or 730m Swim, 4km Run. Registration Opens 5.00pm, Freyberg Pool
15 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
15 - North Island Track and Field Champs, Hamilton
15 - Club Meet A, Newtown Park - 1.30pm to 5pm.
15 - North Island Track and Field Champs, Hamilton
16 - Junior Inter-Club 4, Newtown Park - 10am to 2pm.
18 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
22 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
25 - Merry Christmas!
29 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
4 – 6 - North Island Colgate Games, Hamilton
5 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
8 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
12 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
13 - Kiwi Athletic Throws meet Club Meet A, Newtown
15 - Wellington Waterfront 5k Series, Mac’s Brewbar, Waterfront, 5.00pm Facebook
18 - Capital Classic NZ Senior 3000m, Newtown
19 - Lower Hutt 5km Parkruns, Porirua 5km Parkruns, Kapiti Coast 5km Parkruns – 8am
19 - Sola Power Throw Meet, Lower Hutt
Keep in touch with the club via:
Public Facebook page. And Join the Scottish member Facebook group here