*** Update ***
If you want to know how you are going then check out the spreadsheet below. Remember you only need to do three events (all listed in spreadsheet) to be in to win. Also if you have done an event and we have missed you off then let us know at email@example.com
It's time to get the Summer Series up and running again. Two main reasons:
- Racing (especially track) is more fun when there is a group, so the Summer Series will provide a few races we can target and hopefully get some good numbers.
- Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and the way we score the Summer Series gives you a chance to figure out were you excel (both against yourself and against training mates).
This year will be slightly different. We have two series. So read on.
Scottish Summer Series
Just like last year, but with a few tweaks. Rules below:
- You need to run 3 events between 15th of Dec and 28th of Feb
- You can’t run all events from the same category (3 categories: track, road, trail)
- You get bonus points for running extra races
- Points are earned at each race according age-grade performance (calculator). Your age-graded score is the ratio of the approximate world-record time for your age and gender divided by your actual time. E.g. A 45-year-old woman running 5k in 21:00 would score 74.84 points. A 35-year-old man who ran the same time would score 63.17 points.
- To age-grade the Holdsworth/Jumbo, times will be converted to equivalent half-marathon performance (we have a formula) and then age-graded.
- Everyone competes against everyone else – the summer champs will not have different grades for men, women, juniors, masters etc.
- We will announce official results at the Scottish winter opening day in March(ish)
- We will be lazy – we have set up an e-mail account to keep track of everyone’s results which means you will need to e-mail us after the event with your time (e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org). Also some events you can run more than once (so for those you will need to pick your fastest time)
- One of the events is in Masterton, so to encourage you we will be booking a house Saturday night and turning it into a running weekend away (more details in due course)
- 2 points for every additional race beyond 3
- Top 5 performances for each event will score extra points (from 1 to 5)
Scottish Summer Champs
Last year we had amazing turnouts at both the Wellington 10,000 and 5,000 Champs, basically, it was a sea of yellow and a lot of fun. So to encourage everyone to get involved again this summer we thought we would add a slight twist. So…
- As per the Scottish Summer Series, points will be awarded for each event according to your age grade performance
- However, no bonus points will be awarded.
- Winner will be the individual who has the highest combined score across the two races
- Might also give you a hint as to whether you are more suited to the shorter or longer stuff
- 10,000m on 17 March
- 5000m on 24 March
Big thanks to Alasdair who did a huge amount of work on this event last year, and will again this year
And of course, any questions then drop me an e-mail (email@example.com)